Saturday, August 8, 2015

Post Reaction Talk: SHINee - Married To The Music

Hello darlings!

I'm here with the very first Post Reaction Talk! What is Post Reaction Talk, you may ask? Well, these kinds of posts are going to be companion pieces to my music video reactions on my youtube channel. While the video is an immediate reaction to a MV, the blog post will have more put together thoughts.

I decided to watch SHINee's new music video, "Married to the Music!" I cannot believe the originality in this video! Seriously! I'm so happy I did my first reaction video with this song! It was definitely worth the wait!  But before I continue on with my Post Reaction Talk, go and watch the music video and my reaction video!





Okay, where to start...

This was such an eclectic concept for SHINee to showcase, but by the gods am I glad they did. I have never seen a concept for a MV like this before. It was a great mix of crazy, confusing, and colorful blended with unforeseen moments and a hint of horror.

I saw a very heavy influence from old horror and monster films in the music video. The members begin in a black and white car scene and end up at an old looking house with mismatched furniture, only to be given strange glowing liquid by a mysterious woman who ends up taking body parts off of each member. If that doesn't sound like the premise of a horror film I don't know what does.


The woman in the music video took the different parts of each of the members and pieced them together to create her own dream man (Frankenstein, anyone?)


Her magazine cuttings of the members, and a plan on how she's going to piece them together is seen on the left.


And here we see a glimpse of the creature itself...

Along with the influences of horror and monster movies...I saw another great influence in "Married to the Music." That's right, the glorious 1975 cult classic Rocky Horror Picture Show! It itself is a throwback to earlier horror films with its own comedic, sexual, musical twist to it.


The blood dripping title text looks eerily familiar...


If these lips weren't singing "Married to the Music" they'd be singing "Science Fiction Double Feature."



A large party where everything is covered with glitter and confetti and everyone is dancing in crazy outfits? Sounds familiar...


Maybe I'm pulling the references out of thin air, but maybe I'm not. Maybe SHINee is as big of a Rocky Horror fan as I am and they were paying homage to the classic film. One can only hope. 

It'll be a long time before I stop talking about this video with people. It's not everyday that videos take the horror concept and I think that SHINee did it in the perfect way. I was so entranced with this video and everything that was happening that I barely paid attention to the song the first time. (Now, it could be argued that this is a bad thing, but I personally believe in intriguing music videos that keep my attention over the song the first time because I can go back and listen to the song whenever I want. Moving on now.)  

I cannot wait to see how the live performances of this song are going to go! 

I shiver with antici...pation.


xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment